This was the saying in a movie that the girls and I watched this past weekend about Kit, The American Girl. The movie is set back in the The Great Depression and is about a little girl who wants to become a reporter. Her family is well off and she and her other little friends watch one by one as families lose their homes, marriages fall apart, and people move away to find work.
In the story, her father has to leave and he’s away for some time. Meanwhile, she and her mother take in boarders to make end meet.
In one scene, Kit gets very frustrated as she is typing and she get’s so upset that the keys lock. Her father stands behind her and says, “Don’t let is beat you, Kit.” Meaning, don’t let circumstances get the best of you.
t’s so easy to do that, isn’t it? I have found that to be true just recently in dealing with all of Hannah’s issues, (none of which she can help); I get frustrated with her and lose my cool. I hate this about myself truly, I do. In times, when she is having trouble and nothing I say does any good, I find myself weeping because I don’t have control. Do any of us really have control? NO, not a bit!
This past weekend, I in my great mother role, forgot to give her her medicine for her ADHD. I paid dearly for it all day on Sunday. She was acting rather odd in the worship service and I was like, Girl, what is up? Then I realized, “Oh no!” Then I was like, how in the world am I going to get through this service? Ted is out of town and we still have a luncheon to go after this……..
Well, she acted terrible and I almost had to take her out and to the bathroom. We got to the luncheon and she was getting worse by the second. Wouldn’t sit still, wouldn’t eat, playing with her food, talking, acting crazy, and thus making me feel even worse about things. Then I ended up the only adult at the table while two other children sat with us. We had been there 20 or so minutes and Hannah hadn’t touched her food and I knew that if we stayed, she wouldn’t finish. So, we went home. She ended up getting a spanking for being disobedient and I gave her half of her pill. The rest of the day, she did great…
Me, I was a total basket case! I was extremely tired from the weekend….I don’t sleep good when Ted is out of town and I was just at a point to pull my hair out.
Today, the girls wanted to eat at school, so I took them early and went home to finish getting ready, put the trash out and get to work. I’m pulling out of the driveway and realize, I forgot to give Hannah her medicine again!!!!!!! I was late to work and called my boss and she was like, no problem, go and we’ll see you when you get here.
Hannah smiled when she saw me and we both had a good laugh when she saw that I was there to give her medicine again for the second time……..in the sea of forgetfulness!!! (you think I would have learned my lesson from yesterday...??)
So, I have learned through all of this…..”Don’t let it beat you.” Things happen, we learn, and grow and move on to the next item on the list. Thus reminding ourselves over and over, “Don’t let it beat you.”
This verse says it all:
Isaiah 41:10
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I am testing this comment section. you are a great friend. love you Chris
Post a Comment